I’m a 24/7 voice hearer on benefits… I am facing eviction.
If you are worried about losing your home or about becoming homeless it can be really scary, but there are options for support:
- If you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless, you should contact your local council and ask them what options are available. Councils have a legal duty to help certain people who are considered to be 'in priority need'. This sometimes includes people with mental health problems. (See our useful contacts page for information about how to contact your local council.)
- Even if the local council decides that it has no legal duty to house you, it must still provide you with advice about finding alternative accommodation.
- The Shelter helpline can help you understand your legal housing rights.
- Citizens Advice can also offer advice and may be able to find you support locally.
- If you are already homeless, organisations such as Homeless UK, Crisis or Streetlink will be able to connect you with local services such as hostels, advice and day centres.
This information was published in November 2014. We will revise it in 2017.